Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a state statute that provides the public the right to access government documents and records. The premise behind FOIA is that the public has a right to know what the government is doing. The law provides that a person can ask a public body for a copy of its records on a specific subject and the public body must provide those records, unless there is an exemption in the statue that protects those records from disclosure.
District 69 is obligated to respond within 5 business days after a request is received. Day 1 of the 5-day timeline is the first business day after the request is received by the public body. If additional time is needed, the public body must notify the requester within 5 business days after the receipt of the request of the statutory reasons for the extension and when the requested information will be produced.
There are several exceptions to public disclosure that include, but are not limited to: private information, personal information, law enforcement records, preliminary drafts, business trade secrets, proposals and bids until a final selection is made and requests that are unduly burdensome. The requester will be notified in writing specifying reasons for the denial. The requester has the right to appeal the public body’s response by filing a request for review with the Attorney General’s Public Access Counselor within 60 calendar days.
Additional information can be found by going to the Illinois Attorney General’s Website:
How to file a FOIA Request
Please provide the following information:
- Requester’s Name
- Name of Organization (if applicable)
- How requested documents should be delivered (pick-up, mail, fax, email)
- Address to where the file should be sent (if applicable)
- Requestor’s telephone number(s)
- Specific information regarding the documents being sought
- Completed and signed FOIA Request Form
- File a FOIA request in one of the following ways:
- Mail or deliver to Maier Administration Center, 5050 Madison Street, Skokie, IL 60077
- Fax to the FOIA Officer at 847-675-7675
- Scan and email to FOIA@skokie69.net
- If you have any questions, please contact District 69 FOIA officers, Dr. Margaret Clauson (email@example.com) or Mr. Frank Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org)